Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.” Galatians 3:11 (NIV)
If you could keep the commandments of God perfectly, you would be like Jesus Himself, the only eternal Son of God who came down from heaven.
- Jesus is the only human being in history who determined the time of His own birth. He was the eternal companion of the Heavenly Father who chose to become one of us, so He could save us from our mess.
Jesus lived in perfect love, perfect faith, perfect goodness and obedience to God. No other human being has ever done that.
- We cannot please God by our good works.
All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away. Isaiah 64:6 (NIV)
- We can only please God by humbly recognising our need for His mercy.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:8-9 (NKJV)
God is just, so evil must be punished but God sent His son to suffer the punishment we deserved.
When Jesus died on the cross, He suffered the torment and death that God’s justice requires for our sins.
So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit. John 19:30 (NKJV)
IT IS FINISHED
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23 (NASB)
This message sounds old fashioned to many in sophisticated post-Christian Western society but in China, Africa, Indonesia and even in the Middle East it is quite different.
- Hundreds of millions of people are embracing this truth of God.
- People are discovering Jesus is God’s only answer to our problems.
In the philosophical movement we call The Enlightenment, French, German and some British intellectuals taught us to believe in reason, to believe in human goodness, to believe in science, to believe in progress.
What was the immediate result of this movement? The savage butchery of the French Revolution.
- Did it stop there?
Modern humanism has led us down a blind alley to post-modern chaos. Post-modern thinkers no longer believe we can know ultimate truth. They teach that all human beliefs in truth are subjective and incomplete at best. My truth is a good as your truth.
- The word TRUTH itself has become as devalued as our inflated currencies.
- Words like FAMILY, JUSTICE, MARRIAGE or GOD can mean almost anything you want them to mean.
Most people respect Jesus as a man and as a teacher, even if most people have not seriously read and considered what He actually did and said.
- This is what He said.