Human history did not begin with a political leader or the work of a great genius.
…God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; MALE and FEMALE he created THEM.
- And God blessed THEM…Genesis 1:27-28 (ESV)
History began with a happy couple blessed by God.
Human life is not all about the dominance of great men, great kings or great preachers.
The essence of human life is friendship and partnership.
- Man and woman, husband and wife, brother and sister are called to be friends and partners with each other.
- Not only that. You and I are created to be friends and partners with God in ruling the world.
WHAT IS RULING THE WORLD?
- BLESSING, FRUITFULNESS AND LOVING SERVICE, NOT DOMINATION OF OTHER PEOPLE.
Then God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and multiply… (physically and spiritually). Genesis 1:28 (NLT)
- Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Matthew 20:25 (NIV)
Throughout human history, men have dominated women and stronger men have dominated weaker men.
IS GOD AGAINST LEADERSHIP?
By no means.
- Jesus taught a completely different concept of leadership, an idea that goes right back to God’s original blessing before Adam and Eve believed the lies of the devil.
But among you it will be different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant… Matthew 20:26 (NLT)
Now we need to carefully consider what this means.
- There are mothers and fathers who work like slaves for their children but in return, they demand total obedience to their own ideas.
- The children can never discover the meaning of freedom.
I once read the story of a middle aged man who killed himself and left a suicide note.
He was a farmer’s son who faithfully served his father,
- but could not even buy a garden tool for the farm without his father’s permission.
- He chose to end his life rather than continue to live as a slave.
Sadly there are government officials, business managers, teachers and even pastors who rule over people like this.
- They work harder than those under them and in return, they demand complete control over everything and everybody.
What does the Bible say?
We must not rebel and start a fight against a bullying leader. The Bible tells us to respect authority.
- But does that mean we must remain unquestioning slaves?
David served King Saul, even when Saul came under the control of dark spirits but there came a time when David had to claim his freedom.
- When Saul tried to kill David, the young man fled for his life.
When a leader imprisons you with control, you have God’s permission to leave.
- Some people leave too quickly but others stay too long.
The Apostle Paul told the Christians in Galatia not to submit to self appointed church leaders who wanted to control them with man made rules.
Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1 (NKJV)
After Paul planted a church in Corinth, bossy preachers came in and took over.
- How did Paul tell the Christians to respond? DON’T SUBMIT TO THEM!
After all, you think you are so wise, but you enjoy putting up with fools!
- You put up with it when someone enslaves you,
- takes everything you have, takes advantage of you,
- takes control of everything, and slaps you in the face. 2 Corinthians 11:19-20 (NLT)
Paul has one word to describe bossy and controlling church leaders: FOOLS.
Bossy leaders can only control your life if you allow them to.
You must resist bossy leadership but be careful how you react.
- Don’t start a fight …
- …but also don’t run from necessary confrontation.
- Don’t set up your own ministry with a vengeful or competitive attitude
- … but don’t bury your gift if you are called to pioneer a new ministry.
Bless those who persecute you. Don’t curse them; pray that God will bless them. Romans 12:14 (NLT)
Blessing is not weak. It has the power of God’s original creation.