I love travelling and I am good at languages but in heaven there will be no language barriers.
- There will be no sickness or toothache in Heaven. What will doctors and dentists do?
- In Heaven the best housewives will have nothing to clean.
- In Heaven there is no need for accountants, lawyers, police officers or prison guards.
- Pastors will not be needed because Jesus will be our Shepherd there.
- Evangelists will have no unbelievers to convert.
- Mother Teresa will have no poor people to feed.
So what will we do? Just sing spiritual songs?
Jesus told a story about talents. A master gave his servant two talents and the servant invested them wisely.
“The man with the two talents also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.’ “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant!
- You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things.
- Come and share your master’s happiness!’ Mt 25:22-23 (NIV)
In this life God has given you abilities and opportunities. Sometimes these involve great achievement and fulfilment but there is also often a lot of responsibility which can be stressful, boring or unpleasant.
In the Kingdom of Heaven which is still to come, God will reward your faithfulness with your talents and give you even more responsibilities
- but He will take away the boredom and frustration.
In Proverbs Chapter 8 we see a picture of Jesus in happy partnership with the Father, working together to create the universe.
Proverbs 8:22-31 (NKJV)
22 “The LORD possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old.
23 I have been established from everlasting, From the beginning, before there was ever an earth.
24 When there were no depths I was brought forth, When there were no fountains abounding with water.
25 Before the mountains were settled, Before the hills, I was brought forth;
26 While as yet He had not made the earth or the fields, Or the primeval dust of the world.
27 When He prepared the heavens, I was there, When He drew a circle on the face of the deep,
28 When He established the clouds above, When He strengthened the fountains of the deep,
29 When He assigned to the sea its limit, So that the waters would not transgress His command, When He marked out the foundations of the earth,
30 Then I was beside Him as a master craftsman; And I was daily His delight, Rejoicing always before Him,
31 Rejoicing in His inhabited world, And my delight was with the sons of men.
The Kingdom of Heaven is here and now, alive within every believer.
- If you are a believer and a follower of Jesus, God has appointed you to be His partner on earth, working with His Spirit and representing His eternal Son here and now.
- We are called to help establish the Kingdom of God on earth and to prepare the way for the return of Jesus Christ.
But the Kingdom of Heaven or the Kingdom of God will one day be totally fulfilled.
Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Revelation 21:1 (NKJV)
But this will not be the end.
We will sing love songs to God but there will also be much more to do.